Pages


"Let's be cheerful"! We have no more right to steal the brightness out of the day for our own family than we have to steal the purse of a stranger. Let us be as careful that our homes are furnished with pleasant & happy thoughts as we are that the rugs are the right color and texture & the furniture comfortable and beautiful"! Laura Ingalls Wilder

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

a rainy day post







What was I thinking waiting to take pictures of my current knit.  The sun has been either full faced or at least peeking for days.. up until today.  It's nasty out there.  I thought, "hmmm, terrible lighting.  Perhaps the interest of outside will help."  I positioned everything as best I could (seams are not sewn and buttons are still unattached) where we would stay dry beneath the giant fir tree.  

The sweater is no further along than it was in this post.  I detoured to make the hat (from Last Minute Knitted Gifts) and to choose buttons, reminding myself that this set was indeed going to be feminine before the tedium of seam stitching.  The color in these photos (or should I say lack of color) is atrocious, I think that the deep olive shows better in the link.  This is going to look just beautiful with the shoes that Erin made.  I'll convince her to let me post them soon since she hasn't posted in months.  I also have in mind a block print t-shirt using one of the stamps I carved last year paired with a simple skirt pattern I've been waiting to try...  oh yes, this is just as much fun as I knew it would be.  Praise for grands!

I'm sharing 2 books today.  Rudyard Kipling is our current author study and Kim was the suggested title.  It's not an easy read aloud for the funky English that is spoken and the book is mostly dialogue.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it justice but the girls don't seem to have any trouble following.  They do in fact beg me to keep going when I think I'm finished.  Is this a recommend?  If I were just reading it myself I would say, "eh" but the girls are really enjoying it.  There you go.

The other book is one that I've read before and am re-reading.  Passionate Housewives Desperate For God by Staci McDonald and Jenny Chancey is a politically incorrect book about the joy of being a supportive wife who values her place in her home and in the life of her husband.  Sometimes the message of the world gets loud and I need to close my ears and curl up with a like-minded author.  That's what this book is for me.  A reminder that the message of Truth drowns out the deception of worldly thinking.


Blessings, Debbie

21 comments:

  1. Well who-ha for lousy weather - I think the staging is lovely just the same. Can't wait to see what else the little bundle of inspiration sends you out to create!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing those titles. I have been wanting to 'just read' a book but have trouble finding fiction that's up my alley...Sounds like the Housewives one might be the ticket. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I should have clarified non-fiction Sherri.. but definitely worth the read!

      Delete
  3. Aw, that kitty is cute, cute, cute! Looks like Granny is having fun knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your knitting is beautiful! I love the great color:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love that quote from Laura Ingalls you have at the top of your blog! Your knitting pictures are lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky little grandchild that receives your sweater! The housewives book sounds just like my cup of tea. Keep dry and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely knitting.. So wish I could do that craft.. Your books sounds interesting..
    Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely!

    I have read the Passionate Housewives book. It's good, and encouraging!

    Is your daughter and son in law announcing the name of their daughter or waiting until she is born?

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your knitting is absolutely lovely and I like that shade of green. Lucky little grandkid.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your knitting is lovely, I love the photo with the rusty old tractor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! I was just going to say all of this. Lovely knitting. LOVE the little ole tractor.

      Cute!

      Delete
  11. Was recently blessed with having the McDonalds visit our church (Mr. preached, no less). Mrs. is a wealth of wisdom and shares much of it in her writing. Such an encouraging book. I see you're enjoying creating lovely things for your grandbaby as am I for mine. :) Blessings to you and yours, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a darling little sweater! I love how it is the same color as the pines. A nature inspired sweater? I read that book too--very convicting:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So you liked that book? The Desperate Housewives? I wasn't real wild about it, I have no idea why. I just kept feeling beat up and I kept praying that God would open my eyes to the message.
    I finally gave up. I would like to read what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where to start? I guess I'll need to do a blog post on the subject.. :) Next week.

      ~~Debbie

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read Passionate Housewives a year or so ago...thanks for reminding me about it...I think my heart might need the encouragement again!! I'm so envious (in a good way!?!) of all the sun you say you have had...it feel like it's been ages here since the sun has shown it's self...and now it's snowing again! :P ;) Love the knitting - it's one craft I'm just staying clear of!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These pictures are great...I haven't read Passionate Housewives but totally agree the world shouts so loud....and I worry more about the generation coming up.
    Oh I see my grandson for the first time on Saturday...they will be able to have him on the 15th for good after six weeks of transition...adoption..what a precious gift
    I know you are getting excited also

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your willingness to live your life in God's way...not the world's...to raise your family and love your husband and make a home....I want to be more like you. Maybe I should read that book.
    And green is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The knitted sweater and hat are beautiful! So sweet and special, made by Grandma, for a dear baby! I have a friend who is expecting her first who posted a pic of a sweater her own grandma made for her when she was a baby-she'll be dressing her little one in the same sweater soon. Maybe you'll not only have the joy of seeing your grandchild wearing this sweater set, but also a future great-grandchild too! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...