Pages


"Let's be cheerful"! We have no more right to steal the brightness out of the day for our own family than we have to steal the purse of a stranger. Let us be as careful that our homes are furnished with pleasant & happy thoughts as we are that the rugs are the right color and texture & the furniture comfortable and beautiful"! Laura Ingalls Wilder

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

hot off the press



I love baby season and being able to wrap the precious new ones in hand knit goodies is one of the best feelings. This easy-to-work basket weave baby blanket is embellished with a heart motif pattern, giving a little extra love to this project and the wee one it will cover.

So says Meg of Little Bit of Life when introducing her almost ready for purchase pattern.  I am honored to be a test knitter!  I have to say that so far this pattern is straight forward, easy to read, and easy to work.  It's also a pleasure conversing with sweet Meg.  I wish I had more to show you, what you are looking at is the moss stitch border and several rows into the basket weave.  Come back next week and I promise to have something worth seeing!




I'm reading Nourishing Traditions.  I purchased this book several months ago.  By the time I was halfway through it I was so inspired that I had to just begin implementing and stop reading for awhile.  This book is loaded with information.  Not only are you reading the recipes and intros but there are invaluable facts and helps in the sidebars of every page...

"As children we always looked forward to the day they made sauerkraut.  Two men seated themselves face to face and, straddling a barrel, held between them a large tool for shredding the cabbage.  The little box that the cabbage fell into went back and forth between them to the rhythm of a song they chanted.  Then arrived the moment that all of us children were waiting for.  When they sang the refrain, one of the men would jump nimbly into the cask, scatter a handful of salt over the grated cabbage, and stamp down with his feet."   Anna Nilssonn   

...and even some 'just for fun' remembrances.  Of course the recipe included for sauerkraut doesn't have anything to do with singing or bare feet!


Joining Ginny's Yarn Along
Blessings, Debbie

30 comments:

  1. Love the sound of that book :) And the yarn you are using for the baby blanket is gorgeous, I love that it isn't a traditional baby colour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nourishing Traditions is one of my favorite book's. It has so much information in it and has taught me quite a bit about food that I didn't know [even after all these years!].
    Love the baby knitting and can't wait to hear more. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The baby knit is beautiful and isn't it fun to start something new? Congrats on being a test knitter and I need to look for this book, seems I am one of the few that has not read it yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I can hardly wait to see more!

    I'm going to add Nourishing Traditions to my read list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blanket looks sweet! Also, your book sounds amazing.
    I can't think of a better review than to say you had to put it down to start implementing.
    So good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that a gray? Love the color. I've put that book on hold at my library, missed picking it up and now have to wait once again. I like to 'look' at books before I decide to purchase them. Hope it arrives soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Sweetie Pie! Oh, that book looks like just my cup of tea. And I said I wasn't going to buy any books for a while. Oh well!
    You must be a speedy knitter, Debbie! Your test knitting is lovely and I can't wait to see more. Please come over and knit with me. We can tell stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I agree, Meg is a super sweetie. ;) I am glad you are her test knitter. That looks like a very interesting book. I love books like that. My parents used to make sauerkraut like that. I didn't know why they did because us kids didn't eat it, but someone must have.
    Enjoy your day of knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's gonna be so cute!!

    And Nourishing Traditions...I admire you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am soooooooooooo glad you have Nourishing Traditions. You can start sprouting, fermenting, soaking in your breads and quick breads. [o= I am sooooooo thankful I bought my copy in the last few weeks. It explains so much, it's amazing.

    I can't wait to see more next week in your knitting adventure. [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. N.T. is truly a nutrition encyclopedia! Implementing the methods and techniques within has been a s-l-o-w process for our family. Baby step by baby step, we're well on the path with culturing dairy and using sourdough for baking. Happy reading!

    Looking forward to seeing your progress on the baby blanket--how sweet to be a test knitter!

    Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet blankie! Can't wait to see it finished. I confess to owning that book and NEVER reading it. One of these days......

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen quite a few posts about that book.It sounds interesting. Enjoy your knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the color you chose! It just looks so warm and cozy.

    Alas, I still need to actually buy that book. When I borrowed it from the library I practically copied the whole informational sections before I had to return it because it was filled with so much! I did love it very much so hopefully I can find a used copy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nourishing Traditions sounds like a great book. I have considered purchasing it before...but was afraid I'd be overwhelmed with the things I need to change. (Yikes!)
    Can't wait to see the finished blanket! (Do you have any knitted goodies tucked away for future grands? ~smile~ )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a good book and I can't wait to see what you are making! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well look at you go...moody or not, you are productive and looks like you are enjoying it...see being creative does makes those hormones calm down.

    Oh I have also prayed for the driver...thanks for joining me on that also with your comment. I felt God did a big work in me and I prayed it would also be in the man's heart also.

    Fun sounding book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a fun knit.....but will it be a "beginner" knit for us "rookies"? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You sure have been busy with travelling, a wedding and the zoo. All looked like fun and wonderful times. Nourishing Traditions sounds like an interesting read. Looks like you are getting a bit of soul nourishment with your recent knitting project. Enjoy and have a great rest of the week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  20. i like the dark grey of this blanket! lots of my friends have read this book, but i never jumped into it. i am mostly vegetarian, and she is mostly, ok...not at all, vegetarian! lol

    :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a sweet pattern and prefect for a baby gift. Nourishing Traditions is such a great book packed with info. I made sauerkraut w/ cabbage, carrots and apples. We loved it xoxo Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  22. The blanket sounds so nice...can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  23. that NT cookbook is a treasure trove of information - it's one that i turn to often.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing a review of Nourishing Traditions. I will add it to my list of books to pick up-- perhaps from our library.

    Knitting for a baby--a wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I will be looking for that book! The blanket look good can't wait to see more. I love knitting for babies!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't wait to see the blanket when you are further along! I am a novice knitter!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  27. Knitting for a new baby sounds pretty nourishing in and of itself.

    Blessings to you - Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have yet to dig into my copy of Nourishing Traditions. You're right, it is so full of information, I get overloaded. Looking forward to seeing the completed knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I bought Nourishing Traditions a while back and I absolutely LOVE all of the information on different vegetables. It is an excellent resource.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mmmm, I would love to learn to knit like that! That is going to be one beautiful blanket! I'm going to see if our library has nourishing traditions. It sounds like a great read!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...