Pages


"Let's be cheerful"! We have no more right to steal the brightness out of the day for our own family than we have to steal the purse of a stranger. Let us be as careful that our homes are furnished with pleasant & happy thoughts as we are that the rugs are the right color and texture & the furniture comfortable and beautiful"! Laura Ingalls Wilder

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

here a chick, there a chick...



Here they are!  Well, 2 at least.  I was kinda proud to get them done.  It's been another busy week.  I just don't look at the others waiting in the knitting bag and all is contentment.


My Chicken Recipe ;)

Knit a square. Any size from 9-20 stitches.
Bring opposite corners together and stitch down one side.
Fill with just a bit of carded wool.
Stitch remaining side closed.
Take a running stitch from bottom point up center of body and tug, causing body to pinch up on both ends and tie off.
Sew two halves of body together at pinch, wherever it seems natural to maintain chicken shape.
Decide which end is the head, and which end is...not.
Chain stitch 6 strands of embroidery floss.
Lay across top of head and secure front and back.
Take 2 separate stitches, bumping the chain between stitches to create comb.
Chain stitch a shorter chain and loop it to create wattle.
Secure under beak.
Use bright gold and embroider beak.
Use black and embroider eyes.
Use a large button, stitched to bottom so chicken will stand.  Use thread, yarn is too thick and makes the chicken lean over.

Now push, pull and tweak until you are happy.  Enjoy!


Tasha Tudor's Garden


   Tasha despises thunderstorms.  Apparently, her mother once came so close to being struck by lightning that all the bobby pins holding up her long tresses melted, giving her quite a fright.  So Tasha has a healthy respect for storms, or, as she quips, quoting Mark Twain, "Thunder is impressive, but it's lightning that does the work."  And of course the rain that accompanies the flashes and noise does a nasty job on the garden.
  But more often than not, July is a month of drought, and that rankles the gardener even more than a few brief episodes of electrical terror.  She fears for her lily pond; she fears for her shallow-rooted azaleas and the tender herbs that wilt on her terraces.

I thought it appropriate that I am also still reading the same book.  As I said, a very busy week!!


Joining Ginny's Yarn Along
Blessings, Debbie

38 comments:

  1. what a great idea! and they're so cute! :) I should try to make one soon! :)
    thanks for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To cute for words:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, these are great! I am so thankful that you posted the pattern and they are going on needles today. I have chicks that are hatching as I type and a wee one who wants to hold them. This chicken will make my day a lot easier! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are absolutely precious. Now, can you show me how to knit a square? kidding... kinda...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are adorable! I have a little hen egg cozy, I think that was crochet. Love all of it:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't yet proceeded beyond knitting a square dishcloth so I think I might be able to handle this! These are so cute. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, they're cute!
    I also knitted barnyard friends this week!
    http://bendingbirches2010.blogspot.com/2011/05/yarn-along-barnyard-stuffies.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. those are the sweetest little chickens ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those little chickens! I also love reading your quote from LIW. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. adorable! I"m working on some knitted animals myself this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, those are adorable! Thanks for sharing the "recipe"! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the chickens! I might have to try one or two. Thank you for sharing your recipe for chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh goodness, those are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to find that book. Tasha Tudor is an all time favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie,

    Your chicks are so cute!!

    ~Renee

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these chicks. I made some very similar ones for my kids' Easter baskets. They don't like them as much as I do though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! I love the title "chicken recipe" :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute...I should try to dye some yarn to match our various hens and do "portrait" chickens...

    I love Tasha Tudor. My mother has that book and I have a couple of others.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How adorable! Cute, cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are sooo cute! And I am so excited, because this is something I can actually make! I do know how to crochet squares. Nothing else, mind you, but squares I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Debbie,

    Thank you for the comment....I don't have a pattern for my soap holder I just start knitting and when it is finished that is what I get..~smile~ I am just a beginner of knitting and patterns have to be really easy for me to follow.

    Thanks again for stopping by...

    ~Renee

    ReplyDelete
  22. I so love your chickens and I so love Tasha...she certainly has given us something to live up to.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those chickens are so cute!! I am bookmarking this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Charlotte was sitting here with me as I opened this post. "Those are so cute, so cute!", she said. I agree. Thank you for the pattern. I look will try to make some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So very cute! I love these chickens, I think I might try some of them. Thanks for visiting and yes, I am still smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's me again. Sadly, I am equally bad at knitting as crocheting. Seriously, all I can do is squares. I couldn't follow a pattern if my life depended on it. So that was why I was so excited to see that squares was all it took to make these chickens! :-) LOL. I knitted slipper once too, but those just take a rectangle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a clever pattern! You are so kind to share it with everyone!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Weeeee! These are darling! I am so pleased that you shared them. That's the second project you've had a hand in adding to my "Must Make" list (the first being the knit Little Sister's Dress).

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  29. My dh has a phd in chickens (ok, "poultry science" does sound a bit better) ... I might have to make him some of your chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My ten year old daughter will be making up some of these chicks -- too cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those little chicks are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  32. hi debbie!
    thanks for your sweet visit at my place today--i LOVE your blog. i think we'd get along WELL.
    :)
    these little chickens are SO cute. now you have me wondering if crochet would make them come alive too, as i haven't taken up knitting!
    and as a comment on another post--wool IS addictive!
    i'll be back to visit more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yesterday I´ve started to knit one of this little cute chickens. I will show it, if it´s ready. Thank you for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Everyone else seems to get the idea...where does the running stitch go? And the pinch...and the two halves?? They are so cute, but I don't get it!! Could you explain it differently or make a diagram?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Everyone else seems to get the idea...where does the running stitch go? And the pinch...and the two halves?? They are so cute, but I don't get it!! Could you explain it differently or make a diagram?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...